Saturday, April 23, 2011

How NOT To Groom Your Dog

We have a beautiful gentle natured dog that I adopted 8 years ago. Unfortunately, it was a little neglected and was very shy when I brought her home. She had previously belonged to someone who lived nearby and I spent the last few months, she had food and fresh water so we were already well acquainted.

Meisha her name, and I'd say she's a cross between a collie and husky. It is a nice blend of gray and white with little black mixed in. Until a couple of summers ago I had always took her in to be groomed and trimmed, but I forgot to make an appointment for her at one time, and the next thing I knew she groomer was booked for the next few months.

Well my sister in law and I decided instead of looking for another groomer I would just take care of it yourself. No big deal. We had decided that it was so damn hot and she always throws so bad that we really should trim her and make her more comfortable.

I have not had any dog grooming clippers, but my neighbor has them and they volunteered for the task. My first clue that it might not be a good idea was that, although my neighbor is still scissors and their dog to the groomers for a trim. Why I do not think to ask why they did it when the perfect pair of big hedge at home.

We got out the clippers and they were really going to town, poor Meisha was not impressed, but it really was not too difficult to handle. We were feeling pretty proud of our results, but as a start we got going we realized it was not going to be a quick job. To get everything done and looking great it was going to take some time, and we wondered just how long is that Meisha good naturedly going to cooperate with all this, when disaster struck.

As it happened I do not know, and I'm not sure how we did not notice, but the guard came down with the clippers and before you know it my poor dog, and vice versa Mohawk, which was extremely short. We did not get her skin or anything, but we definitely had decorated her much, much less that we desired.

Of course, at that time a neighbor came out, the children came to see what happens, and my brother stopped. Everyone just looked at this poor dog who was only halfway trimmed anyway, but she also had this very short strip right down the middle of the back.

to top it all off Meisha decided she had enough and took off in the back yard to lie in the shade of peach.

My daughter is afflicted with what we have done and my brother and my neighbor could not stop laughing. Now my sister-in-law, and I do not think it was so funny. After all, we had half a sleek dog that is now thoroughly tired of our benevolent efforts and to top it off she was almost bald strip down the middle of the back.

We decided it was time for professional groomers and started calling. I finally found one that could take her the next day, I had told her that he was unhappy with the clippers and she was too short in some areas, and only halfway trimmed in others. I did not volunteer that I am because of all these problems, but I did not blame him for anyone else either. I just kind of left it up in the air.

So the next day I took her in what looked to what someone has done a horrible job, and they could not believe that someone was foolish enough not to have secured or guardian at least I noticed immediately when fell off. They have these comments before I could say anything, and volunteers that I was that my dog ​​has gotten into this trouble.

A groomer made ​​a comment that I hope will never allow a person to have done close to your dog with the clippers again, and I just commented that I did not think I will ever have that problem again. I knew I would not, because I was sure that I really will never forget how to re-appointment and attempt this myself.

Meisha I left and returned to her later and she looked really great, except for that darn tape on the back. They gave me instructions that I should probably put sunscreen on my back for a week or two until they grow a little longer. Of course I brought my then 4 year old daughter with me to pick Meisha and as children they often do tubes with the comments we would prefer left unsaid. I think her comment was that after having seen what I did to Meisha she was no longer going to let me trim her bangs anymore.

, of course, resulted in dead silence, and I felt I had to make my apologies. It is all finished laughing (at my expense) and a promise that next year I should let them that I was Meisha is "mom" and they will let me off in no problem.

So, the moral of this story if you want to reduce your dog, go for it, but do not let the guard drop off the trimmer, and not notice! You may also want to read the instructions that come with it too, just to make sure the guard is secured!

There are some great trimmers out there and I was contemplating getting one and trying again, but then I happened to run across a picture of what happened a few years ago. Instead I picked up the phone and called the groomer for the appointment that she trimmed in months. I decided I do not want to take any chances of not getting in before it got really hot. I swear that my dog looked at me thankfully after I hung up, and my daughter still will not let me trim her bangs!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
eXTReMe Tracker